Thursday, August 02, 2007

I-35W

I have been out of touch for a year as I lived in a different world. And I have been oblivious to the world around me, until 3am early this morning, when I stumbled on the news about the I-35W collapse last night. The I-35W section that collapsed was the bridge that spans the Mississippi River in Minneapolis. When I found out, I immediately sent email to the Yahoo group for my classmates. Today, I sent more emails to other people who are not in that group.

I regret that it takes a tragedy to get me to touch base with friends again. When a tragedy like this happens, something stirs inside, reminding us -- even making us aware -- how important people really are to us.

My two years in business school were intensely busy and demanding. Except for a couple of friends, I didn't think I've bonded with people as deeply as this. But this incident made me realize how much I would miss each one of them if they were gone forever.

Maybe I'm a sentimental sap. Maybe I'm just going through a time in my life when I appreciate the importance of these friendships more. My connection with these people is no longer just business. It's personal now.

No comments:

Post a Comment