More than twenty years ago, on the day of my wedding, Jon and I were getting ready in the morning. He had his back towards the door, fixing his tie. Then suddenly, he said, "Open the door. Your mom's outside." And then there was a knock. I asked if she knocked before that and she said she didn't. I asked him if he saw her shadow in the mirror, and he said no. Besides, it was impossible because the sun was too high for her shadow to fall on the window curtains, even if she was just a foot away from it.
Well, a strange thing has happened twice now since I got here. My mom's doorbell would ring and there would be nobody there. I don't mean kids running away after ringing the bell. There really is nobody there.
The first time happened a few days ago. I was watching TV in the living room and my mom mentioned that she was waiting for the postman so she could hand him her outgoing letters. Then the doorbell rang. She said, "There's no one there." I opened the door and looked left and right. Sure enough, there was nobody there. A few moments later, the postman turned into the driveway. He said hi. I said hi back and called out, "Ma, the postman is here." Later I asked her how she knew there was no one there. She said, "Psychic ability." But I never got why the doorbell rang at all.
And, today, the doorbell rang and, again, there was nobody there. My mom said that Judy (one of her friends) might be coming over. So I grilled her about the invisible door ringer. Apparently, this has been happening for a long time now, since my grandmother left for the Philippines nearly a year ago. It never happened when my grandmother was here. The door bell would ring if a guest is coming. It didn't ring when my dad and his wife came today, until they rang it themselves, and my mom said that it's because they're here all the time. Well, sure enough, Auntie Judy came.
Apparently, it's a regular occurrence, but my mom is not afraid of who or what it is. I do sense something once in a while, and I always thought it was just because of the mirrors in the bedroom.
Dee has also been talking about strange occurrences in her home and I sensed something there too. While I was getting my hair done at Auntie Purita last week, Uncle Pete was telling me stories about ghosts that he can see.
So, what is it with ghosts lately?
No comments:
Post a Comment