Well, last night, I went online to make hotel reservations for tonight. I wanted to find a hotel in Rapid City, SD, to at least see Mt. Rushmore, if it's the only sightseeing I'd get to do. But more than half the hotels are booked and those that have available rooms are asking at least $250 per night! What on earth...? Then I realized it's August. Didn't Doyle mention that the Sturgis rally happens in August? So I looked it up in www.Google.com and, yes, indeed, Sturgis is going on this week. So I decided to take I-94 and made reservations for the Fairfield Inn in Bismarck, ND, where I am now.
The AAA Triptik actually advised taking I-94. But three people at work all said to take I-90 all the way and just head north on Hwy 35, because there's nothing to see in I-94. All the interesting places are in I-90. Looking at the map, it seems like there's not much difference in distance, so I was planning to abandon the AAA Triptik after Billings, MT.
Well, I-94 is actually a nice drive. I like wide open spaces. There are fewer cars here and the road isn't as smooth. But it gives me more time to think. And think, I did. And cry as well. For no reason. I was just doing my vocalization exercises (which my voice teacher Virginia says I really should not do in the car). And then I sang The Lord's Prayer to myself, after which I started bawling. Maybe it's just the exhaustion. Or maybe I really shouldn't do vocalizations in the car....
There were strong cross winds almost the whole time. But it's a warm wind. Then a strong downpour at one point (and I thought I left that in Seattle). But I outran the bad weather and it was nice again a few minutes later. I even saw a pair of rainbows straight ahead afterwards, and beautiful cumulus clouds. Highs were still in the mid to upper 80s but the late afternoon was definitely cooler.
No comments:
Post a Comment