I picked up the keys for the house today. I met the owners there, and we did a move-in inspection. They found that one of the heaters, the one in the dining area, isn't working so they'll have an electrician come in tomorrow.
I learned that although the house was built in the 1940s, the current owners bought it in 1990 and added the mud room and bathroom. When they got it, there was no bathroom, except for an outhouse.
They said that they "gutted the entire house" and replaced everything inside, including the insulation and walls. So, although it's an old house, there's no problem with lead paint or asbestos.
They have lost power during the winter, so they said that they'll either set me up with a propane heater or I can stay over at their little studio, which is next to their main house.
They kept this house, hoping their kids would move back. Both of the kids are in Texas.
After they left, I vacuumed the carpets, although they were already clean. Well, my vacuum has that HEPA filter for allergens so I wanted to make sure. The rest can wait. The house is generally clean. The owners did a good job with it, and they also installed a new window on the north side.
Only the windows on the north and south can be opened. The other windows are so old so they were sealed. There are so many windows that it is so bright downstairs.
Upstairs, there's a window at the top of the stairs on the east side. And a tiny window very high up on the west side.
After vacuuming, I went to the shopping area just across the main highway and bought a measuring tape and a very late lunch. Then, I came back and took measurements.
As I was cleaning up, I heard a tapping noise from upstairs and my first thought was, "Omg, is there a ghost in the house?!?" Well, I went up the stairs and saw the tail of a little brown bird, clinging to the frame of the upper glass. At first, he didn't see me because I came from below and all I could see was his bottom. And he kept tapping on the upper glass as though he wanted to be let in.
I went up a couple more steps and, when our eyes met, he leaned back and there was this look of terror in his eyes, then he flew away to the willow tree by the side of the house. I laughed.
He wasn't the first bird I saw on the property today. Earlier, I saw one with very bright yellow and orange spots all over his body, alighting on the flowery bushes on the west side of the lawn.
Maybe I'll set up some bird feeders.
(Rocky: The ceiling of the loft is high enough. :) )
No comments:
Post a Comment