Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Mapua and Rey

While visiting Intramuros over the weekend, I saw a sign for a career fair at Mapua Institute of Technology, which is located inside Intramuros. I went back today to ask about it and the clerk at the information desk called up the organizer of the event.

I spoke with her over the phone and asked how I could participate in the career fair as an employer. To make a long story short, she needed proof of registration of the company, which I didn't have since I started the incorporation just as I left the US. So, I'll just have to contact her again when I get back to the US.

In the afternoon, I met with my stepbrother Rey who owns a wireless provider company in Ortigas. He is also a consultant* for a small call center, which we visited. The call center was empty since it was only 3pm in the afternoon. The call center reps didn't come in until 7pm.**

The only person in the call center at that time of the day is Kleng, a 29-year-old petite young lady who works as the accountant and office manager. She was very helpful in answering my questions and providing me with costs. She also does contract work for other companies.* In one of them, she works one day a week. In the end, she also agreed to work for me as my accountant on a per-day basis when I get my company going.

Rey said that he had suggested that the partners sublease out the office during the day since they only need it in the evening. So, I might be able to lease a workspace from them in the beginning and save that way. A workspace would include the partitioned desk, a chair, a computer, a phone line, and internet broadband access. Even if I bought my own computers, I could still save. Rey will let me know if the partners agree.


* It seems that most people have multiple jobs. Permanent employees are not common anymore. Instead, people work as contractors for multiple companies. And t he pay rate is not hourly; it's usually monthly.

** Call centers are so common in the Philippines that even fast food chains target their TV ads towards call center employees, who leave work in the morning and have breakfast before heading home.

No comments:

Post a Comment